1. WHEN DOES THE NEXT CYCLE OF GIGI SCHOOL OF CODING START?
We are glad you are interested! The starting date of the next cycle of Gigi School of Coding is FEBRUARY 11 (Monday).
2. GIGI SCHOOL OF CODING DURATION; IS IT A FULL-TIME ENGAGEMENT?
Yes. 8 hours a day, 4 months straight (weekends excluded). We promise you will be sad when it comes to an end.
Note: The only thing more important than being knowledgeable and experienced is having a strong work ethic and work habits. Our program will definitely enhance these qualities.
3. DO I HAVE TO PAY A FEE IF ACCEPTED?
No. If you qualify and get selected, you officially become a “Gigijevac”. You are free to help yourself to cookies, fresh fruit and beverages daily. Additionally, you will be able to use Mistral’s game room (xbox, playstation, table soccer etc.) and will be invited to take part in all internal Mistral activities. However, if you drop out at any point before the official end, you are required to pay a penalty fee.
4. WHEN CAN I APPLY FOR GIGI SCHOOL OF CODING?
You can apply from November 5th to December 11th 2018.
5. DO I GET ALLOWANCE WHILE ATTENDING THE SCHOOL?
While at Gigi School of Coding, you practice on “mock” projects designed specially to widen your skill-base. They mimic actual projects to prepare you for the real deal, but Mistral has no benefits from the work you do during your internship. So no, you don’t get any allowance money, but yes, you do get an extraordinary experience, free hot beverages, fresh fruit, cookies, access to the game room, participation in all internal Mistral activities etc. Most importantly, you get the best hands-on work experience and knowledge which will give you an excellent insight into IT industry.
6. DO WE GET TO MINGLE WITH THE REST OF THE EMPLOYEES IN MISTRAL AND ATTEND COMPANY EVENTS?
Yes and yes. Every single day, every single event. We love to hang out with Gigijevci and share our jokes and smarts!
7. CAN WE USE THE GAME ROOM AND KITCHEN / MISTRAL SOCIAL ZONE?
Absolutely. You can use them 24/7, all 7 days a week!
8. IS GIGI SCHOOL OF CODING ONLY FOR DEVELOPERS?
Not really. If you are aspiring to be a UX/UI designer, product owner, quality assurance engineer or want a career in DevOps - our internship program is the right pick for you!
9. IS THE ENTRANCE TEST THE SAME FOR EVERYONE?
Yes. Everyone will be required to solve similar tasks. The tasks aim to check fundamental technical knowledge, ability to learn new things and apply them to problem-solving. The tests help us determine your logical and analytical thinking skills which we believe are essential for a career in IT.
10. I AM LOOKING FOR A CAREER CHANGE, BUT DO NOT HAVE IT BACKGROUND, CAN I APPLY?
Sure, we have had students or professionals who were self-taught and who ended up getting a job. If you have a good analytical way of thinking and show that you have already taken steps to develop your software development skills, you are welcome to apply. However, please remember: Gigi School of Coding is not for absolute beginners.
11. HOW MANY PEOPLE GET ACCEPTED?
Everyone is welcome to apply, but we can accept up to 15 people.
12. HOW DO I APPLY FOR AN INTERNSHIP POSITION?
During the application period (Nov 5 - Dec 11), you are required to submit your CV and Cover through a designated form on our website by clicking the yellow “APPLY NOW” button on the front page in the GIGI SCHOOL OF CODING section.
13. WHAT LANGUAGE ARE THE CLASSES IN?
Since our client base is mostly from the English speaking world, this program is a fantastic opportunity for you to get the real experience of an English speaking environment. You will have an English language coach to help you along.
14. WHAT CAN I EXPECT AFTER APPLYING?
Candidates who made it through the first selection part will be invited for an interview and technical test.
Note: Since all our correspondence is in English, this interview/ test will also be in English.
15. HOW CAN I COORDINATE FULL TIME AT SCHOOL WITH MY UNIVERSITY LECTURES OR EXAMS?
We support your formal education. Because of that, our students are able to attend their exams but need to notify the Gigi mentors in advance. As far as university lectures are concerned, if you have a full schedule, it is wiser to wait for the next round of Gigi School of Coding.
16. WHEN WILL THE TEST/ INTERVIEW TAKE PLACE?
The test and interview will take place, at least, two weeks before the start of Gigi School of Coding.
17. WHAT ARE THE MAIN CRITERIA FOR EVALUATING CANDIDATES
Technical skills (technical test and technical interview); English skills (interview) and Interpersonal skills (interview).
18. WHAT AREAS WILL BE COVERED DURING GIGI SCHOOL?
Every new Gigi School of Coding program gets an improvement. We do not like to lag behind the latest trends but also appreciate the power of having great OOP foundations. During the 16 weeks, interns are tutored in the following fields:
- Database design (MongoDB)
- Programming techniques (Node express)
- Programming techniques (React, React Native)
- DevOps skills, from “works on my laptop” to “works everywhere”
- English essentials (communication and presentation skills)
- Web design with Material-UI
- Unit tests (development side)
- E2E tests (QA process and Automation testing)
- Agile methodology and project management
- Teamwork, collaboration and corporate culture
19. DO WE HAVE TO BRING OUR OWN LAPTOPS WHILE ATTENDING THE COURSE?
No. Mistral will provide you with all the necessary equipment for the entire course (Laptop, mouse, notebooks, pens etc.)
20. WHO ARE THE MENTORS?
Head of Education – Sulejman Ćatibušić
English mentor – Mila Gračanin
Project Manager mentor - Aldin Selimović
UX/UI Designer mentor - Benjamin Delić
Software Developer mentor - Irhad Babić
Quality Assurance mentor (QA engineer)
DevOps mentor (DevOps engineer)
21. WHAT ARE THE MINIMAL REQUIREMENTS?
Besides fluency in English, candidates are expected to know the principles of Object-Oriented Programming and Software Development Process. Candidates should also have the basic knowledge about database design, and of course, experience with HTML, CSS and JS is more than welcome. Besides that, the more you know - the better.